Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Little Man Down

So Jacoby had his first hospitalization besides his birth week in the NICU.

He's had a cough, little kids are gross and boogery, we get that.  I am NOT a paranoid mom that runs to the docs.  I hate going there, it is not fun.  But on Christmas Jacoby was not well.  He woke up later that night and was really struggling to breath.  He was gasping for breath and his temperature was burning up.  Again, I didn't panic and was just waiting around for the doctor to open.  Although it never crossed my mind "should I take him?" it also never crossed my mind to take him to the ER.

Well apparently that is their holiday, so only one of the offices was open and that was 40 minutes away.  We had great service and got right in.  After taking a look at him she sent us right over to the ER.  I wasn't prepared for that in any way! Mentally or physically, I didn't have any good stuff in the diaper bag for a long day.  Oh well :)

His fever was still really high, his oxygen saturation levels were not optimal, his heart rate/pulse were extremely high, he was looking gray and having lots of trouble!  They got us right into the ER, I even heard them tell some people that had been waiting a long time that they appreciated their patience but they had to take a child over them.  Surprisingly, that was us.

They got him right into x-ray, started an antibiotic, prednasone and breathing treatments.  Jacoby was an AMAZING trooper and very cooperative.  I'm sure it was his fever helping him be complaisant. 

Eventually everything they were doing helped to stabilize his breathing so much that after 5+ hours or so we were able to go home and continue the treatments at home.  I was surprised how quickly they were able to manage his breathing from how he was when he came in.  When he left his oxygen levels were back up to normal and his heart rate and pulse had slowed down some.

He was diagnosed with Bronchilitis caused by RSV.  We were very lucky to be able to go home and he seems to be improving here.  What they didn't tell us and we learned in our follow up today is that the prednasone will make him batshitcrazy and grouchy and the inhaler will hype him up.  Today was a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG day.  He was more 3 than he has ever be!  It's a tough call because he gets so hyper but then he starts hacking.  It seems like a catch to me.

So that concludes the story of Jacoby's current illness.  Hoping for a quick recovery.
My poor baby.  He REFUSED to wear the Johnny.

No comments:

Post a Comment